Monday, December 28, 2009

The Fiancee's Perspective: In Megan's Words

Matt asked me to write a blog, so here it goes…


I’d like to say first how proud I am of Matt. He’s done an amazing job so far – a shadow of the man who picked me up for our first date to the Italian Festival in Norwich, and even more so, the guy the entire marching band (and half of the UConn campus) knew as Griff. Ask him to tell you about that name… perhaps a future blog?


About 8 months into dating, I asked Matt to join Weight Watchers with me. I had done the program successfully several years before and hit my weight goal. I maintained it for quite a while, but some of the weight came back to visit. I was not fat (oops, I dropped the ‘f-bomb’!), but I was not comfortable in my clothes either. I knew that if I had Matt on board with me, it would be easier to stay on plan – it’s hard to eat healthily with small portions if the man you are dating is eating what he wants, whenever he wants, and in whatever portions he wants. Matt declined at the time, so I rejoined myself, hoping to get back down to my weight goal.


Thus, the start of Weight Watchers Round #2. I was inspired by one of my good friends, and attended meetings with her. It worked for a while, but… bad influences overwhelmed me, and I stopped going just in time for my best friend’s wedding in Virginia. I felt good in my bridesmaid dress, so when I came back, I cancelled my membership. I was just 7ish pounds away from my goal.


In Fall 2008, Matt and I moved in together, in the winter, we got engaged…. Then I realized – WEDDING DRESS. I started dress shipping in the spring, and while most of the samples fit me, snuggly, but I didn’t exactly look the way I wanted to. In Fall 2009, I found my dream dress – it’s gorgeous!!!! As we ordered the dress (thanks Mom & Dad!), I struggled. Do I get the dress in the same size as the sample – which fit just perfectly, but with NO wiggle room – or do I get the dress in a size up in case I gain weight from stress eating? I eventually ordered it in the sample size, with the faith that I could get back down to my goal weight and maintain it.


Enter Weight Watchers Round #3 and Matt.


Matt also wanted to get into his dream tux (c’mon, what man doesn’t dream of what he will wear down the aisle?), and I needed to still fit in my dress next summer. I casually mentioned Weight Watchers, and gave him time to think about it.


We all know Matt joined with me, and for my sake, I thank God he did. Losing weight is hard to do, and even harder to do alone. Matt has been a support and inspiration! I am proud to say that I have gotten back to my weight goal, and have even managed to pass it. But without Matt, I would have stopped going to meetings and might have already started to head the wrong way on the scale again.


My suggestion to anyone who is trying to change themselves in some way (health, kicking a bad habit, etc) is to find a partner who has the same goal as you. My hope is that you find a partner who is as inspirational to you as Matt is to me!


Stat time (don’t I get them, too?)

Time till the wedding: I don’t remember. Ask Matt.
How much planning is left: A lot.
Current weight: A woman will never tell…
Total weight lost on Weight Watchers Round #3: 10+ lbs
Total weight lost on Weight Watchers since the beginning: 30+ lbs
Famous singer born on the 30th: Celine Dion (March 30th)
Number of subscribers to the blog: 33
Number last week: 33. BOO! Subscribe, people!

1 comment:

  1. This week's entry brought a huge smile to my face. Megan, you should start your own blog :-) I would love to keep following your posts, too!

    ReplyDelete