Sunday, March 21, 2010

Belly Bracketology

Now that my calorie consumption is now under relative control, it's hard not to look back at my college eating habits without wanting to kick myself in the gut.


We all know about the Freshman 15, the weight that college students put on at the start of their post-high school education, when suddenly all-you-can-eat becomes the norm and beer flows from water fountains. For some people-myself, for example- 15 is nothing. In college, I would guess I gained about 45 pounds from the start of my freshman year til the day I got my diploma. Granted, my ruptured disc left me exercise-incapacitated my senior year, but that is still way too much weight.



The beer wasn't my undoing (I actually didn't become a big beer drinker until junior and senior year). No, for me, college weight gain was caused by my meal plan and the number of ordering-out options available on and off and campus.



Given the season, with March madness upon us and the Huskies still alive in the NIT (the "Not Invited Tournament), I thought it would only be appropriate to look back on my college habits the way I got through so many boring classes: Bracketology. I determined many important things, like my favorite comedians and movie characters, simply by seeding them all, placing them in a large bracket, and having them "play" each other until a winner was determined. It begs to reason the same would work to determine not necessarily the best food on campus, but what establishments caused my belly to bust. We'll do four regions, four "teams" per instead of 16 (otherwise this blog would go on forever). Without further ado...



The Wing Region


Matchup: #1 Wings over Storrs vs. #4 Wings Express


Wings over Storrs opened by freshman year and quickly became the source for wings. So much so, my buddy Bill and I once held a wing tournament to determine our favorite flavor. The big winner: Golden BBQ, over Teriyaki in the final. Wings Express, meanwhile, quickly lost favor.


Winner: Wings over Storrs


Matchup: #2 Bidwell Tavern vs. #3 Red Rock


Every UConn or ECSU student knows the legend of Bidwell's wings. Located a few miles off campus, the tavern was a bit of a field trip, but the flavors were fantastic. Dry rub or sauce, Bidwell's wings were the topic of epic poetry. Red Rock had some good wings in its own right, but compared to Bidwell, it didn't stack up. Winner: Bidwell


Regional Final: #1 Wings over Storrs vs. Bidwell Tavern



As great as Bidwell was, it was simply too far away to frequently clog my arteries. Wings, on the other hand, was right off campus and delivered until the wee hours of the morning. Today, I'd choose Bidwell in a heartbeat, but when you're a campus-stuck student, convenience is key.


Winner: Wings over Storrs



The Pizza/Calzone/Grinder Region



Matchup: #1 Willington Pizza vs. #4 Sgt. Pepperoni



Like Bidwell, Willington Pizza was a bit of a hike, but it was pretty darn good. However, it was a bit overseeded, the Duke of this bracket, you might say. Sgt. Pep's didn't have the greatest pizza, but the calzones were fantastic, and again, location counts for something. I'm calling the upset. Winner: Sgt. Pep's



Matchup: #2 DP Dough vs. #3 Ted's Grinders



As chicken cutlets go, I'm still dreaming of Ted's. Whether parmed or merely cheesed, the sandwiches were amazing. But DP Dough is an institution, and over the course of four years, I probably spent more on cheap quality calzones than I did on textbooks (just kidding Mom). Winner: DP Dough



Regional Final: #2 DP Dough vs. #4 Sgt. Pepperoni



Sgt. Pep's made a mean calzone, but you had to get inventive. DP Dough took care of the creativity and got you anything you could possibly imagine. My heart hurts just thinking about it. Winner: DP Dough



The "International" Region


Matchup: #1 Chang's Garden vs. #4 Tin Tsin


I am pretty sure the latter no longer exists, and anyone who ever had the eggroll-related indigestion knows that's not necessarily a bad thing. Chang's Garden made a great sesame chicken and usually had more friendly delivery people. Easy victory here. Winner: Chang's Garden


Matchup: #2 Chuck's/Margaritas vs. #3 Angellino's


Both these were popular places for when the parents came up to visit. I didn't develop my full love for Mexican food until I made it to the West Coast, but Margarita's was always a great place for trumpet section dinners. Winner: Chuck's/Margaritas


Regional Final: #1 Chang's Garden vs. #2 Chuck's Margaritas


As great as Chang's was, cheese is an awkward thing to add to Chinese food. With Mexican, on the other hand, it's one of the three major ingredients. Mmmmm, quesadillas. Winner: Chuck's/Margaritas


The Dining Services Region


Matchup: #1 South Dining Hall vs. #4 Towers Dining Hall


South was the standard for all you-can-gain dining. That place had stuffing every night, a full grill, ice cream, dessert stand, comfort food, pizza, and I think occasionally a violinist would serenade you and your friends while you ate. Towers got points for its Grab and Go (where I worked senior year) and for its kosher dining station, but head-to-head with South, it's like like 2004 Huskies taking on the 2010 Huskies. Winner: South Dining Hall


Matchup: #2 Jonathan's vs. #3 WEBB Site Grab and Go


This is a battle. Both places were great for stocking your dorm room pantry. Tell me if this sounds familiar: two weeks left in the semester, 48 meals left on the plan. Time to hit the grab-and-gos for all the Powerade, chips, and brownies you could bag. I heard Jonathan's might no longer be around, but it wins this battle by merit of onion rings and chicken dippers. Winner: Jonathan's


Regional Final: #1 South Dining Hall vs. #2 Jonathan's




South was the destination for every preseason band meal and many dinners year-round. Jonathan's was the cap to every AEPi chapter meeting. Between the two establishments, my cholesterol frequently threatened to punch me in the face. But Jonathan's didn't have all-you-can-eat stuffing or soft-serve machines. Word of advice: don't mix up the two. I do not recommend a cone full of Stove Top. Winner: South Dining Hall



So the "Fattening Four" stage is set. In one semifinal, we've got Wings over Storrs battling DP Dough. In the other, it's South Dining Hall vs. Chuck's/Margarita's. Who will win? Check back later this week, and maybe you can influence the matchups by voting via the comment section.



One things for sure: it's a miracle my waistline ever survived the UConn calorie gauntlet. In retrospect, I was lucky I only gained 45 pounds.




No great tournament would be complete without STATS!



Days until wedding: 119.
Pounds lost in Week 29: 1.8
Total weight lost: 64.6 lbs
Progress toward 60-pound goal: 107.67 percent
Progress toward new 80-pound goal: 80.75 percent
Weight left to lose before hitting new goal: 15.4 pounds
Body Fat: 21 percent. Apparently, that's within the range of an average adult my height.
Last time my body fat was "average": Week 33 as a fetus
Blog Subscribers: 46.
Consecutive weigh-ins without gaining weight: 29
My tournament bracket: shredded. Why, oh why, do I keep picking Kansas?

4 comments:

  1. Sad to say both Jonathan's and WEBB Site are no longer around - my freshman year ('03-'04) was the last for Jonathan's and I think sophomore year was the last for WEBB Site....my freshman year was also the last for the "use all your meals and points in the last 2 weeks" thing as they got rid of that and just hit you with "unlimited meals" and you could choose your number of points....way lame

    Keep up the good work, Matt! I also can't wait to see who wins this tournament next week. My money is on D.P. Dough

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always comment to you at home... but this needs to be made public:

    I'm guessing D.P. Dough and South Dinning Hall for the final dance. My reasoning: CHOICES. You highlighted that a bit in the blog, but although each establishment offered broccoli (D.P. Dough in their calzones, South in the form of limp steamed veggies), both also offered too much cheese.

    Too much... well, maybe not. Still very tasty.

    My vote: South as the winner. It was 'free' for on campus housing, and there was always SO much food!

    I love you, I'm proud of you, and I can't wait to show off our skinny bodies at the wedding (don't worry folks, they will be covered in a wedding dress and a tux. I might wear the tux...?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might be interesting to see Matt in a gown. Shades of Sgt. Klinger.....

    dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm now craving DP Dough like no other. Chicken parm zone mmmm.... I still know the phone number by heart (860-429-7577).

    Bidwell's is the best! Wednesday night Rocks n' Wings! What was that deal? $17 gets you a bucket of Rolling Rocks and a plate of 30 wings or something? I miss that place.

    Jonathan's--Besides their burgers, fries, and onion rings, they had that Entemann's shelf in the middle while you wait. Marc Goldstein and I once grabbed a Rasberry Cheese Danish loaf and had a race to see who could finish their half first. (You never lived in Towers, but Towers Express was just as good as Jonathan's).

    ReplyDelete