Saturday, September 26, 2009

A doofus's good problems...

I am an overreacting doofus.

I'm not saying that with any hesitation or doubt. A week ago, I got on this blog and bemoaned what I thought was a pending weight loss plateau. The good results of the first few weeks, I reasoned, were gone, and more than a few people wrote to let me know that it would be alright. Chief amongst my "told you so" critics was my own fiancee, who was, I hate to admit, completely right.

I entered the Weight Watchers meeting on Thursday confident of a better week. Our faulty electronic scale in our bathroom led me to believe I had dropped 2-3 pounds, totals I worked extremely hard to achieve. Last week was one of long gym sessions, splitting my time between Stairmasters and Tread climbers. I would come home at night tired yet proud, hungry yet satisfied, and I had managed to traverse Rosh Hashanah and an engagement party without any culinary catastrophe.

But I wasn't prepared for the bathroom scale to be so wrong. I stepped on the Weight Watchers scale and watched with interest as the woman recorded my progress. One week, another 5.6 pounds lost. My jaw dropped, Megan beamed at me, and I was rewarded not just with the pounds gone, but also with the desired "bravo" sticker from the leader.

Patience is usually one of my virtues. Optimism is not. I have great faith in other people, but for some reason have always used self-doubt and pessimism as a form of motivation. When I wrote last week, I was only seeing the negative, and it took a few good kicks in the pants for me to put my chin back up. Thank you everyone who has offered their support. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

So now onto the good problems. About two months ago, I got a new suit. It's pretty sharp, a nice charcoal gray, designed to serve me well in weddings and interviews ahead. I've worn it just once, so it still has that new suit look.

Yet tomorrow, I'm bringing back to the store for alterations. I got the suit before my little weight loss quest, and though practically brand new, it's already too big. The pants are ridiculously loose, and even the jacket hangs awkwardly off of shoulders that were a little broader a month ago. Additionally, one of my belts no longer serves my pants-hoisting needs.

My wallet is a little nervous that more clothes will need alterations or replacing. Every other part of me is proud, and with a little more luck, maybe I can remove an "X" from my shirt size. It's been a while since I've had to buy new clothes for my stomach retracting instead of expanding.

I'm feeling really good about my progress. I regret not having gotten serious about losing weight sooner, but at least I'm finally taking some control.

A few notes before we get to the stats. This week, a woman in Indonesia gave birth to a 19.2 pound baby. While I certainly hope she got an epidural, I have to marvel at two things. First, how the hell did she do that, and second, the child's weight matches exactly the pounds I've lost in the first month of Weight Watchers. What's departed from my belly found it's way to Indonesia, I guess.

Now, the really exciting news. The Journal Inquirer is now linking to this blog off its Web site. Unlike most of the JI's web content, since this is my own blog, there is no charge for readers to peruse the Great Wedding Fast. I'm pleased at the thought that more people than just my Facebook friends and family will now be reading along on this process. Yep, it means there's more pressure to succeed, but just like needing suit alterations, a bigger audience is a problem I'll take any day.

Stats away!

Week 4 Totals

Weeks until wedding: 43
Week 4 pounds lost: 5.6
Total weight lost: 19.2 pounds, or one ginormous Indonesian newborn (seriously, the father must have been a Kimodo Dragon)
Percentage of overall 60-pound goal: 32 percent
Pounds remaining to lose: 40.8
What I was doing when I was 19.2 years old: 2nd semester at UConn
GPA that semester: 4.0 (p.s.: not my GPA)
Wait, you wanted my GPA that semester?: not available at press time
Number of calories burnt at the gym last week: 3,600
Number of times the gym played that horrible Pussycat Dolls song during those workouts: 9,560

2 comments:

  1. Well, your concern is also the bad news of losing tons of weight, I had to spend so much money buying cloths that looked good on me. I went from a 26/28 to a 12/14 and hpoefully will be done around 8/10. I had to buy clothes at 22/24, 18/20, 16ish, and now 12/14 ish, each time spending money I never wanted to spend. I would wear the clothes I had until I felt a kid could pants me in class with no effort, then I forced myself to the store. I think this year I spent a good $1500 on clothes, when I never used to buy new clothes at all. And the worst part is that consignment shops and Goodwill do not have clothes in those big sizes (if they do it is too few and far between for a whole new wardrobe).

    Here is the best part. Even though it is money, you will give yourself a weight loss and self-esteem pick-me-up everytime you have to buy clothes. Also, you will begin to like shopping for clothes, which Megan might like too. I used to HATE shopping because I would cry at what I would see in the mirror, how things that looked cute on everyone else looked really bad on me while my friends would say, oh that looks good. Finally, you will feel good about donating your clothes to people who can't afford them.

    Piece of advice, wait as long as you can to buy new clothes. I think I bought my first set after I lost 50 lbs, but that might be because I had clothes in different sizes. Also, once you move more than 4 sizes away from old clothes GET RID OF THEM. If you are just as determined as I think you are, then you shouldn't need them. When you lose the weight you want to, then that is a different story, keep a size or two up, but not 12 sizes.

    GOOD LUCK THIS WEEK MATT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found this - good luck, Matt! The nice thing is that after getting used to eating healthier, it just becomes a habit, and anything different (fast food lunches, for example) will start to seem horribly irresponsible. Almost reflexively.

    ReplyDelete