Sunday, October 25, 2009

No longer the fat frat guy...

As much as I like to reminisce about my glorious days as a proud band nerd, there's another facet to my college life that brought me just as much fun. And, as much as some people are suprised to find, that part of me was my life in the fraternity.

At UConn, I spent four great years as a brother of Alpha Epsilon Pi. The chapter has grown considerably since I left (I hope that's coincidental), but our house in the Greek Village apparently still features the annual composite shots of the brothers.

In four straight of these composite shots, I loook like quite the rotund dork. The tight tie, the ill-fitting blue blazer... these are images I wish no one ever had access to seeing again. Yet sadly, to the new generations of AEPi, Matthew Engelhardt is the fat frat brother, the guy with the chubbiest face of any of the other brothers, and the one who no one should ever dare take on in a chicken nugget eating contest.

College is supposed to be the time in life when you look and feel your best. As for me, I now find myself a good 50-60 pounds lighter than the last time my photo was taken for the composite. Even my dreaded chins, which I blogged about hating mere weeks ago, are starting to take shape as one. I feel great now, certainly better about myself than I did five or six years ago.

This weekend, I got invited back to campus to speak about my time in the fraternity. I sat in front of 18 pledges, most of whom had only seen my picture from the composite. And of the brothers that were there, I certainly didn't expect them to notice that I was lighter, or at least ask about it. "That's something these guys probably wouldn't do," I told Megan, just before heading off to speak.

And yet, just as I opened up my mouth to speak, the chapter advisor interrupted: "Seriously, Engelhardt, how much weight have you lost?" As I looked in his direction, I heard murmurs throughout the room. Apparently, I had changed quite a bit. Even the current brothers noted, with one not so discrete brother stating something like, "yeah, you were much fatter in the composite." After nearly strangling him on general principle, I realized I might be blushing, told them my current loss, and accepted a round of snaps in recognition of the fact that yes, indeed, there's a little less Buddha to this belly.

It's an odd feeling, one I haven't gotten accustomed to yet. Instead of people silently wondering how much weight I've gained, they're speaking aloud that I look like I'm in better shape. It happens almost everywhere I go where people haven't seen me in a while. My future mother-in-law tells me I look like a different person every time I see her. My own mother is probably wondering how much money I'm going to ask for in buying new clothes.

The truth is, I still see myself as the fat guy in the composite. If things keep at this pace, and the weight continues to fall off, maybe the way I see myself will get better as well. So please, tell me if you think I'm looking slimmer. I may act embarassed on the outside (and feel that way on the inside, too), but honestly, you're helping me keep going.

I just wish I hadn't waited until after college to take on this challenge. Stupid D.P. Dough. Anyone who went to UConn understands what a few of those calzones does to your waistline.

On another note, some of you have already inquired about donating to or joining the JI News Cycle. This week, I intend to work hard at recruiting people to come aboard. I'd love to get a team of 10-15 people together, and if we can all raise $100, that's a hell of a donation to the American Cancer Society. Once again, here's the link....

http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY09National?px=13455107&pg=personal&fr_id=16250#

Let's kick cancer in the face.

Back those stats up!

Weeks until wedding: 39
Week 6 pounds lost: .6
Total weight lost: 27
Percentage of overall 60-pound goal: 45 percent
Pounds remaining to lose: 33
Number of subscribers to this blog: 17
Number last week: 14. You guys rock, and by all means, comment!
Pounds I've lost since senior year of college: 55
Fraternal nickname: Big Pun.
Reason I gave for that nickname: I'm clever with words!
Actual reason for nickname: I was a large musician
Shame factor over actual reason for nickname: 985

No comments:

Post a Comment